Photocromatic Roof | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Photocromatic Roof

Discussion in '612/599' started by Vroom1234, May 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
    What were the earliest production dates of the F1-S? Is there a way to tell visually which transmission a vehicle has?

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ron, the F1 Superfast is faster in manual mode. I'll go look this up when I have a chance, but the F1 shifts are something like 120 to 150 milliseconds while the F1 Superfast is around 80 milliseconds.

I know Taz has this info.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Found the F1 Superfast, not 80 but 100 milliseconds, and I'm thinking the F1 might even be 180 milliseconds.

F1 – Superfast gearshifting Like Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, 612 Scaglietti shall be equipped with the F1 – Superfast gearshifting strategy. With this strategy, the gearshifting time - considered as acceleration gap - decreases to 100ms during performance driving. This gearshifting strategy enhances driving emotions and improves the car performance.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    While that is cool, the other thing, which has been mentioned before, is how much smoother the F1-Superfast (I think technically it's an F1A) is at normal, around town speeds. It makes it actually usable in automatic mode.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, and I think he posted it in this thread a few pages back. As I recall, he said OTO and Senssata have the F1-S.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My OTO says "F1A" right next to the little reverse lever.

7. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That is the slippery surface button. Different thing.

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    My 2005 says F1-A under the reverse lever too. Rather than the “F1-S” button, it’s got a “slippery road” symbol. I always assumed the F1-S on the later models with the super fast ‘box engaged the fastest shift program. Guess not then!?

10. Vroom1234

Vroom1234 Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Josh Rosner
    So, I went to see the 2008. It’s actually quite clean but aside from the other issues I have stated the stickies are definitely gross (especially on the nav/radio). How costly is that to deal with and who in the NYC area is fair and capable?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    So I asked Taz about the Superfast transmission. Here is his answer:

So the Superfast is in the OTO and the OTO did not come out until part way into 2008. So only 2008 and later cars will be OTO and early 2008 production cars might not be OTO. So Josh if you are set on getting a Superfast it will have to be an OTO and that will require at least a 2008. If your looking at a 2008 and wondering if it is an OTO, I think anything with the glass roof and the magneto steering wheels will be OTOs, so that should narrow the confusion.

By the way, depending on your desires, I personally would not die in a ditch over not having a Superfast. I have a late 2007 612 which I always shift manually and I am very happy with it. Based on what Taz is saying it sounds like my shift times are better than the 05s but not as good as the OTOs. So if I were you I would find the best car for the money. All 612s are great cars. Yes the OTOs are better but you will also pay significantly more for them. It all depends on what you want and your budget.

Good luck.

599_GTO likes this.
  12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    There are two that people seem to use. Sticky No More and Sticky RX. You can google them. Sticky No More is in Orchard Park NY and the operator is Dave Lelonek (so close to you). I have not used either but I have seen people who like both. Dave was helpful to me on other matters and I think highly of him. I am sure if you call either of them they can give you a ball park. Note the sticky problem is common and is likely to exist on any Ferrari you look at unless it has already been remedied by one of these two gentlemen. So be sure to consider that when comparing apples to apples.

13. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I have been told that the 612 is at the higher end of cost to remediate the stickies because of the labor involved to remove and reinstall the internal pieces. You could of course do this yourself to save the labor cost if you're handy. I know a few Ferrari owners who have done the actual mitigation themselves using some form of alcohol, but this might take off the lettering on switches.

Bradan in West Babylon (Long Island) has a few threads on FChat documenting their work on 612s. They offer free pick up and delivery in the tri-state area. Links are below. I have not had any work done by them so have no personal experience. Also see <www.bradangroup.com>. You could post a message in the "New York Tri-State" section of FChat asking for recommendations.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/bradan-612-oto-major-service.588985/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/bradan-612-6-spd-paint-service-misc.583776/

Two companies specialize in mitigating stickies, Sticky No More and Sticky Rx. The latter has an FChat thread specifically about the 612 at .https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/sticky-rx-ferrari-612-interior-refinishing.534665/ You will likely get opinions on both sides of the question about which company to use. I have not (yet) had any personal experience. Company websites:

www.stickynomore.com

www.**********.com

RonH likes this.
  14. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I see that the website address for Sticky Rx has been blocked by FChat. I think there have been some issues and friction that engendered the block. I have spoken with Dave at Stick Rx a couple of times. He's very knowledgeable and a detail-nut engineer (or physicist). You can do a search to get the website, or call Dave Lelonek at 716-667-0778.

15. Norcal

Norcal Rookie

Oct 23, 2009
    im looking at $750 for labor and $900 parts to deal with bose head end and the hvac face plate stickies. CA pricing for labor and parts via stickynomore Removing all of the buttons on the bose head end looks laborious

16. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    My 2006 612 has the F1-s button aswell. Not clear for me if this is a faster shifting gearbox as the 2004/2005 models

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Apologies if this is off-topic a bit, but does anyone know if it’s just the TCU mapping that was improved between ‘05 and ‘07 cars, and whether it’s possible to update?