News

rechroming rear tail light cluster 365 gt 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 365gtfr, Oct 29, 2018.

1. 365gtfr

365gtfr Rookie

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    hello,

On my car, the rear tail light cluster have to be renovated. They are not in a good condition and I have black bands upper and lower (maybe an addition from the previous owner beacause I never saw such bands).

I would like to rechrome theses parts, a friend of mine said that it's in zamac. Do you think it's possible ? do you have any advices ?

thank you

[​IMG]

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    You might want to speak with a reputable chrome shop as well.

john

3. Bowzer

Bowzer Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Cannot see the chrome well in the picture. The black paint seems to be sprayed over the chrome. Maybe you could try to " clean off " the black paint with some alcohol first ? Just an idea, am no expert.

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    See the top picture in post 21 of this thread, and my comment in post 22.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/introducing-my-365-gt-2-2.413780/#post-142418045

The top and bottom bands (where yours have been sprayed black) originally had a matte finish which, when viewed closely, was actually what I would call a micro-pebble finish - most likely sprayed on. As I commented 5 years ago, that original finish will come right off if you wash it too vigorously or polish the chrome finish.

5. 365gtfr

365gtfr Rookie

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    thanks for your advices. I will begin to clean gently the black bands (I agree with you on the finish Bryan). I've seen a lot of 365 GT with full chrome finish, not original by the way but clean ;-)

6. donv

donv F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Getting that right was very difficult. I think we had it done a few different times when I painted my car, and I actually had to buy (on ebay!) another set of those surrounds because mine were cracked.

I suspect the reason most of them are just chromed is because that is much easier.

365gtfr likes this.