Revv'ing in neutral | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Revv'ing in neutral

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shrevesport, Sep 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    @3POINT8 - I think there's a bit of difference between a throttle blip and revving to redline. I view that as torture to the machine.

RedTaxi likes this.
  2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes to clarify i completely agree. a blip or have it in gear and redline it not redline in neutral

Shrevesport likes this.
  3. Shrevesport

Shrevesport Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Bryan Lusk
    Thx for the candid response.

4. Shrevesport

Shrevesport Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Bryan Lusk
    Right!? I thought it was a simple rookie question. LOL!

5. Shrevesport

Shrevesport Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Bryan Lusk
    Thx for the candid
    makes sense. Thx!

paulchua likes this.
  6. Shrevesport

Shrevesport Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Bryan Lusk
    I grew up in the 80's watching Miami Vice and Magnum PI. Nothing got my heart thumping harder than to see a beautiful woman in form fitting attire or hear a Ferrari rev high! I have some sophisticated friends...def not dummies by any metric. Invariably they will say "Lets hear it!" when they are admiring the car. Some are even Ferrari owners and they will say "That V12 is THE best sounding Ferrari engine...or engine period!" So I like to indulge them. But I am not a mechanic and have not been to the Ferrari drive school. So just wanting to make sure if I hit the throttle a little too hard am I hurting anything? I appreciate the above genuine replies.

HotShoe and Texas Forever like this.
  7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOLOL! QFT!!

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The revving of Ferraris when cold up to maybe 4K, is to put high oil pressure into the lubrication passages quickly. And on older engines to avoid oil fouling the plugs..

When warm it's ponintless, and certainly never to anywhere near the readline.

Instead offer them on borad for a spirited drive, unles they are armed thugs.
    Which at this point most people at stoplights actually ARE!!!

9. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I am not a circus animal and do not perform for others. Perhaps Lamborghini owners are different!

Viperjoe, RedTaxi and ginoBBi512 like this.
  10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    When folks see my in my 328, their jaws drop, and they cant stop staring, not only at the car, but at the drivers movie star looks, it just leaves them speechless , so no requests for anything Im afraid !! lol

Big G

11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I usually just ignore the rev requests. (Like the crowd of people lining the roadside when leaving Concorso years ago.)

But then again, when it’s a kid with his dad at Cars and Coffee, or a couple of times at Celebration…. Come on. A blip or two can make that kid’s day, and it won’t hurt anything. Who knows, it might even reinforce and help grow that kid’s love of cars.

Carbon Bits and AD211 like this.
  12. mestlick

mestlick Rookie

Jul 26, 2018
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael Estlick
    I have a Testarossa with a Tubi exhaust. I'll blip the throttle at a stop light for anyone. If I'm moving and I see someone freaking out about the car, I'll downshift and put my foot down. I feel obliged to give the people what they want. I can't tell you how many people come up and chat when the car is parked. I'll let almost anyone take pictures, sit in it if they want, etc...
    I feel embarrassed when the car is cold, it takes like 20 minutes for the oil to warm up and for 2nd gear to work. I have to shift from 1st to 3rd at 4k RPMs, which is NOT impressive :)

The first time I saw a Testarossa in person, the owner opened up the back for me. My friends had to pull me away. 20 years later I got mine, and sometimes I still just stare at the engine.

stoutman11, gliazzurri, AD211 and 4 others like this.
  13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Short answer- as above no harm at a stop light.

No point in being an ****** either in the car or in the forums. I always give a thumbs up to anyone who acknowledges any of my cars. To this day I remember back in ‘05 or ‘06 driving on the highway in my Vanquish S, when a guy in a 5 series BMW pulled up to me in the next lane just to give me the thumbs up.

Personally, revving a car in neutral does nothing for me. The biggest problem in the aftermarket exhaust videos is they’re nearly all done in neutral and in a garage which sounds nothing like the car in motion. Sounds like **** to me. Put an inconel Brooke Racing Exhausts in my 812 and a side/rear muffler delete and a Dundon Crack Pipe (also inconel) in my GT3 RS.

If you’ve ever driven an F12 or 812, the divine organ-like harmonics of the induction is what really makes the car, not the exhaust note, especially on track.

PS speaking of “childish” racing from red light to red light, the only chink in the armor of the V12 Ferraris is the launch control. If they only could emulate the Porsche launch control.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Just don’t make eye contact with mortals when driving the Ferrari. And Never, Ever wave back at Porsche drivers when they wave at you just feeds into their delusions.

Seriously though. Do what you want, whatever makes you happy but don’t feel obligated.

Ferrari makes great engines, and after all the engine can rev while driving under a load (power to wheels) so I can’t imagine why it would be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Amateurs. From a cold start:

BJK, HotShoe and EastMemphis like this.
  16. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    The new Mustang will have a feature that lets you blip the throttle remotely. Hey maybe Ferrari should do that. o_O

Never understood the throttle revving/blip in neutral thing. Maybe it's just me, but it's very different from hearing a car accelerating under load.

RedTaxi and EastMemphis like this.
  17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I will admit to blipping before shutting off after a drive back in my garage. Standing outside foot on the gas. but only to like 3k rpm cause it sounds so good. Anyone else can just hear me drive off.