SNJ5 Mondial part out thread - QV carb setup and Tubi headers | FerrariChat

SNJ5 Mondial part out thread - QV carb setup and Tubi headers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by ATSAaron, Jan 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Through a bit of luck I managed to purchase SNJ5's old Mondial. If you don't remember it then have a scroll down on this page to see several threads on this car:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/interesting-3x8-technical-diy-threads.281516/

Anyway, it's a 1988 3.2 Mondial that has been converted to carburetors. That's cool, and it sounds cool, and it's pretty fast. But my goal is to turbocharge it and make it similar to my crazy 308.

http://www.retromodmag.com/features/beautiful-beast

Anyway, the Mondial will be getting an EFI conversion, and an ATS Exotics turbo package so the carbs and exhaust are up for sale:

These are 44 DCNFs. They are bigger than what is on a stock 308 GTB/GTS. They are sitting on top of some rare QV/3.2 (even 3.4 actually) intake manifolds. There is also a factory airbox that has been modified to use an external K&N filter instead of the K&N that sits around the carbs. Note: the custom airbox fits this car, and it looks like it will fit a 308/328 once the CIS stuff is removed, but I can't guarantee you won't have to modify that. There are also some throttle horns that match the bore of the carburetors. I will also include the throttle linkage stuff IF you send me your stock piece in exchange (I believe Norwood welded the throttle linkage stuff to the coolant T in the middle of the V. I am estimating the original cost of this stuff at $5000+. I want $2750 including US shipping. I will discount that some if you can offer me some QV or 328 intake runners in trade.

Ceramic coated Tubi headers. These are the euro/non cat style headers that exit on both sides of the car. The US/cat cars have a sort of T pipe that joined them into one. Honestly the single cat T pipe is easier to build a turbo kit for so that is what I am switching to. My research says these headers will fit non-cat QV/3.2 Mondial, 308 QV, and 328. Looks like these may actually be discontinued now, but the last price I saw was $4300 (and that is BEFORE coating). I'm asking $2200.00 and that price includes shipping inside the US.

SNJ5 custom dual muffler, dual tip exhaust. I think this was the third of fourth version that SNJ5 built for this car. Sounds great, not loud, very throaty though. $750 including shipping inside the US.

The car is currently together and running, but has some ignition issues.

Pics in the next post.

2. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Price is negotiable.

3. derrickrose123

Feb 3, 2016
    Cant figure out how to PM for some reason....anyway do u know if the headers will fit a 328?

4. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I believe they will. I'm pretty sure the oem parts have the same part number.

Aaron

5. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Aaron,

Did you do your EFI conversion? What package/kit? or can you give me some insight/details? I have a Mondial 8 and was thinking of an ignition-only or full EFI conversion...recommendations?

6. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I've started, but I haven't had enough time to get very far. So far I have modified the stock flywheel to add 10 additional pin (12 total) to work as a crank position sensor. I bought a cam position sensor from a 348 on ebay. I have fitted eight 60lb injectors to the 3.2/QV intake runners and built most of the fuel rail. I bought a Link G4+ ecu as well.

Aaron

7. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
  8. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Headers and carburetors are sold BTW.

350HPMondial likes this.
  9. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Hey now,, I have a euro Mondial-8,,, f106B motore'

I just bought a 4 pick-up,,, MSD-8611 Trigger wheel,,,,,, for my 308 Aluminum front pulley.

see photo,

I am likeing your fuel rails,,, thats how I'm going to make mine.
    (more photos please.)
    :)

Today,
    I have the rear intake manifold....
    now,, I just need a,,,
    used 308GTSi front Intake Manifold. ( 2v 308)
    part number,,, Ferrari 114987

The fronts are more rare then the rears.... I believe the fronts get smashed against the fire wall,,,, during the rear end collision...

ouch.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    ATSAaron:

I have a Mondial 8....about fuel rails, was does the other fuel rail look like? In particular, in my Mondial 8 the intake is on the rear of the plenum (and the throttle cable) and thus cannot easily fit a fuel rail across there...did you have this issue?

any recommendations how/where to get a fuel rail?

11. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    On my turbo 308 I made a new throttle cable bracket that attached to the fuel rail and runner. The Mondial 8 and 308 GTSi 2 valve runners are different with angled injectors on them. Do you have a thread over on the 308 or Mondial forum? I'd like to see what you've got so far.

Aaron

12. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I have not found a thread about making fuel rails over in the Mondial forum. People talk about EFI conversions and either use Forza's solution (pricey, at least for me) who do not discuss that detail. I have seen pics of Mondial 8's with EFI conversion. I have seen some places that sell EFI kits generically...but I would need to know the distances and angles for the 8's engine. I can measure distances maybe, but very hard to get the angles right?

Suggestions?

Can I just route fuel lines to each injector and then fasten EACH injector somehow (without making a mess)?

For an EFI conversion, to me it seems the main parts are:

-ECU,
    -crank sensor (more teeth plus fastened sensor)
    -coils,
    -injectors
    -fuel rails

The crank I can figure out to send out somewhere to alter (or buy). Its sensor I can make a bracket (fasten to timing belt cover perhaps?)

I'd happily share the full solution once found...

13. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Do you still have the airbox?

14. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    350HPMondial, swift53 and 2cam like this.