the F40 is undervalued | Page 19 | FerrariChat

the F40 is undervalued

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ross, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    There are several solid reasons for the price difference but for me the fundamental point is the F50 is unique among Ferrari road cars. Because it is only road going Ferrari made with a fully-stressed engine member chassis, reflecting the F50's homage to F1.

Moopz and joe sackey like this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Indeed, it's 3.5 times as rare as an F40.

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The F50 is the undisputed ugly duckling of the Ferrari bunch, and in my view this up until recent times has over shadowed its engineering uniqueness in the line up.

With rarity becoming the over riding investment element now (just look at manual 575 and 599 prices, they are rare because no one specced/wanted them in period! and not because they were limited by the factory)

Had Ferrari produced say less than 300 F40s those would all be way ahead of all the others now in value, as it is the car everyone associates with the brand, car nut or not. I would say it would take $5 million plus to get one if there were only 300 on the planet. The LM version sort of confirms this.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc.

Data and JagShergill like this.
  5. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    So the title of the thread played out with F40s roughly doubling I think. With this risk-off move we are seeing everywhere and deleveraging and crypto unraveling etc, is $3m for an F40 (or whatever the high print was) going to be the high watermark? If the pattern plays out with previous crashes in cars, I am sincerely hoping it is not, but fear it could be. Thoughts?

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    interesting question.....
    could go a few ways.....

you could have exotic car prices drop off like everything else
    you could have the air go out of the balloon of most of the car market, but leave the crown jewels like the 5 top ferraris, p1, 918 etc etc remaining high as a store of value
    you could have many more cars stay high, along with art, etc as investors try to hold onto real things vs unreal things like crypto.

dunno. we shall see.

7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The reason these top of the tree examples have risen in value in recent years is not because they have got any better with age, or there are a lack of alternatives, it is simply because owners see them as a nice, relatively small item to store a lot of value in, and they look great standing still.

All ships rise in the tide, these will be the last to be affected, so I do not see them tanking anytime soon, unlike so many other inflated commodities that people will have to dump.

I was at a BBQ today, two likely lads in their mid twenties there, good talkers, if you did not know their backgrounds you would think they were key players in their field, one turned up in a new 4 series BMW, the other was claiming his new Tesla was being delivered soon.

I know full well that both lads would have zero available funds if their current incomes stopped over the next two months, no assets to their name and everything on finance. It is all about the show and bragging rights with that generation, classic emperors new clothes, all smoke and mirrors. They will also have ploughed money they do not have into crypto no doubt, and see that vanishing into thin air.

The world will be awash with such cars in the next 12 to 18 months as they get handed back in their droves when the monthly repayments stop, when such lads are made redundant. This is the real current bubble that will burst soon enough, as it did in the early 90s with anything on finance.

It is madness that people are paying way over the odds for new everyday cars, and used examples are selling for more than they did a year ago, once the supply chains are back up to speed their is going to be a massive glut, with fields full of unwanted repo's. It is the next toxic debt mountain.

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    What else is there?

Ferrari has already made it abundantly clear the next hypercar is going hybrid in a big way, just matter of it being mated to a V8 Turbo or V6 Turbo, no V12 appears confirmed.

From here what promise is there that the next Ferrari will be universally accepted as the best Ferrari? And that appears to be true for all the other major marks as well...best products are in the back catalogue with nothing on the way or even being considered that raises the bar on combustion/thermal engines.

I imagine prices will hold and continue to appreciate as these realities continue to soak in to everyone's consciousness.

10. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    I agree - the back catalogue of ‘poster’ limited cars is on an upward longterm trend - yes , there will be blips /corrections along the way but when you have NFTs, Crypto etc worth tens/hundreds of thousands /millions - then ,( imho) iconic, physical , quantifiable physical objects with inate joy attached to them ( adrenaline +serotonin+desirability+sexiness+etc etc etc )the values of good/exceptional F40s/F50s/275/288/Enzo etc will necessarily rise ….
    Imho it’s realistic to expect by 2030 good/exceptional cars to reach say..
    F40 ( non cat/non-lift) - in Uk _£2.5Mill - so double now ..
    F50- £5Mill- so less than double now
    Enzo- £4Mill- so 2/3 more than now …
    All pure guesswork , but regardless of the world economy , the apex of the wealth triangle is getting bigger and broader and the blue chip cars /models will continue to go stratospheric ….and when it comes to the TDF - a modern classic , I wouldn’t be surprised at the £1.5Mill cars…..

11. Hopfenholz

Hopfenholz Rookie

Mar 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joel Hopwood
    Personally I'd expect to see those numbers by 2025

12. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    And that may well be the case if prices continue as at present …. Not sure if that pace is sustainable though without plateauing out …… the’ Miles of Smiles ‘ with your Dynamic Duo of F40/F50 means your in a Win/Win regardless !! :)

13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    they are so expensive now that it doesn't make too much difference if an F50 was £5m as it'll be the same bracket of person who will be purchasing them

it does mean they'll get used less and less though

I used to see f40/50's at track days here commonly during around 2005 or so

14. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I think there is a lot of bullishness, but I can remember Daytonas dropping 90% in the early 90s, from $1m to $100,000. I hope for us all that the values keep going but given the recent move I think a halving of value is more likely than a doubling from here. I would just caution us all.

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    collectible car market down 50%? i think newer cars will do that, the older stuff has less debt behind it.

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  17. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    What a shame !! Salvageable …. Where/when was that ??

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    My Crystal Ball is in the shop undergoing a major service which I am told could take months, meanwhile, let's not get bogged down with too much speculation, here's a real 18,000 miles F40 which is available now and priced fairly in today's market, principals please contact me directly offline.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I wouldn't think the halo cars will be that volatile. It may be a few years before values continue upwards but I would be surprised if they went down significantly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

20. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Joe , I’m afraid I got a call from The Oracle center and your crystal ball has developed a small timeline leak meaning extensive sifting out the drivel from armchair pundits like me will get harder and harder - my method of future value predictions is however fail proof and very scientific - I place my left wet finger in the air , whilst hopping on my right foot and singing “God Save The Queen”.

joe sackey likes this.
  21. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
  22. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I don’t think it’s crazy, I mean, 2 years ago a nice F40 was $1.5m, then it went to $3m, why couldn’t it go back to the price from 2 years ago, especially if that’s what stocks do? Look I’m not talking the market down, I hope the F40 goes straight to $5m, but I’m just saying there are some cautionary tales in the past.

Bas likes this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if the whole world deflates, sure. but then real estate and stocks will do worse than an f40, just like last time.

24. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I doubt there is much, if any debt in the vast majority of F40s this time around, even recently purchased ones, so very few owners would have to dump them asap in any downfall.

I would not say the same about any of the recent (under 3 yer old) mid level cars from the higher end marques, those heavily financed "look at me" cars will be the ones to tank big time when the owners are forced to hand them back to the leasing companies when they can no longer cover the monthly payments.

ross likes this.