Thoughts on putting a powered subwoofer in 308 trunk? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thoughts on putting a powered subwoofer in 308 trunk?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Back to audio, I appreciate all the comments regarding the sub in the trunk. I've done some more research based on the subwoofer in the kickpanel area.

A dedicated 6" to 8" woofer seems to fit well, and, while not "blasting out the neighborhood," should provide enough in-cabin low-end to the sound spectrum.

Here's one 6 3/4" woofer:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-VXtu5Vl7xfM/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=85000&I=575RFP4406&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Of course, there are 8" woofers as well that I understand fit OK.

I'm going to get into the kickpanel area shortly and measure out the exact dimensions...

Thanks again to all for your help and info regarding the trunk subs. Most importantly, I realized that it's not going to do much without ports, as somebody pointed out--which can't really be accomodated.

--Mike

2. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    You know what cracks me up, is the my car can outperform yours type comments. Who give a F#@%. A large percentage of people that own ferraris don't even know how to drive them. Comments like the 308 are slow are rediculous. I think it's just that the people don't understand what the 308's about. People think that because a car doesn't go from 0-60 in 4 seconds, then it's slow. Those people don't know what real speed is. A lot of new cars have unusable power, and they make you feel like they're good in the twisties until you actually test them. The 308 is a good car. It doesn't have a lot of low end speed, but that's because of it's gearing. That's very evident because what other car can you go from 1st to 3rd at 10 mph and not stumble?

3. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Why need that, JUST LISTEN TO THE ENGINE. ITS BETTER

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Well, my 1972 Blaupunkt in my Lotus was dealer installed. 10 watts. POS tone. It SUCKS!!!! As I'm replacing the dash back to an original hopefully this year, I haven't upgraded yet but anyone who wants a POS period Blaupunkt cassette with its 10 whomping watts, make me an offer!

I'd stay with it if it was any good; at least it's not an 8 track.

Ken

5. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Mike,

How much airspace does that sub need? That is the most important factor you need to think about. There are different kinds of subs for different applications. Some used sealed boxes and some use ported boxes or spaces. There are some other configurations like bandpass and isobaric(sp). Air space is the key to good sounding sub if you don't have good air space for the sub to move you might as well not put one in. It won't sound the same.

6. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    "Any one only has to watch MTV to see the Ferraris dont stay standard for long do they?"

Yeah MTV is where we want to get ideas on how to "modify" a Ferrari, God knows there is nothing but taste and style on MTV and the thugs and criminals they feature.

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I've got an 8" in my 308QV, but instead of just cutting a hole in the kick panel cover, at the time a custom enclosure for 308's and 328's was available from a company called Z-Box.

I know Mike P has already seen them, but pics in the old archives are at
    www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/251280/222525.html

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah... I love your setup, Mike. Boy the hours I've spent researching Z-Box :). They're definitely no longer around! I've found a few hits on them on FerrariChat and also a few hits on them in the usenet Ferrari alt.autos.ferrari newsgroup. Funny each search result also had something to the effect of "now defunct" or "no longer in business!" lol.

I've yet to get behind there and see the volume available.

I did have one lead (Rob from Ultimate Pedals) who had six enclosures for his JBL 6.5" woofer made, but they're all gone. He was asking if anybody would be interested in joining the deal to help defray the setup costs...

Here's Rob Baylor's old thread with some pictures:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/252062.html

I really like how tasteful and subtle the JBL sub in the footwell area is... Nice.

Any other takers on investigating these enclosures? Apparently at least six people have them ;).

--Mike