Virginia goes after Out-of-State License Plates | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Virginia goes after Out-of-State License Plates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by toggie, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    point taken. how about 'alternate' or 'additional'. i was referring to the post office boxes that some said people were securing as an 'address'. of course, if one has a residence in another state, i would assume this becomes a bit more difficult to determine - having a car, let's say, with MT plates, that always stays in VA. no horse for me here, i just knew a lot of people in NoVa who seemed to be paying exorbitant property tax premiums.

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    They are indeed paying outrageous taxes in VA. And, NoVA basically carries the rest of the state. I understand taxation, but how many bites at the apple are appropriate. As noted, we pay sales tax when we buy it, gas guzzler tax for the privilege of buying more fuel, taxes on fuel when we use it, and then MORE taxes on the fact that we own property? It's just absurd, and, if anyone remembers, it was exactly this pitch that elected Schwarzenegger to CA Governor. Purely on taxes. Of course, with McAuliffe as Governor, I rather doubt there's any hope of rational tax policy. It's tax the rich from the word go. Redistributionism and all that.

BUT, it's a citizen's duty to stand up and fight against it. Otherwise, Government will just roll over everyone. It's hard to fight the machinery, but this is what spawns radical, necessary changes in Government. The fact that VA is strong-arming people ought not to be tolerated. I voted with my feet. I'm no longer a VA resident (and never will be again). I can choose to do that, though, and many cannot. So, they have to find other ways to push back.

And, actually, I think the registered agent (usually a law firm) receives the documents. So, it's not "just" a forwarded P.O. Box. But, even that's technically not illegal, as far as I know, either. Corporations can exist virtually and on paper only.

CW

3. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    I received a credit now twice for big ticket vehicles sold. I also recently appealed two vehicles and got a refund for each, and also reviewed my house on appeal, and got money back there, also. Know the rules, and use them to YOUR advantage.

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Curious if anyone knows where this has gone since last year?

CW

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Hasn't been in the local news much this year.

I found this info on "Project Target" on the Fairfax County, VA website:

Program TARGET Information - - Fairfax County, Virginia

Seems to be a citizen reporting website with a business workflow side to it to catch tax evaders.

6. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Perhaps if they adjusted their draconian and ridiculous policy of taxing people for the privilege of possessing something they already paid for (and paid taxes on), people wouldnt take steps to mitigate their taxes. And the state wouldnt have to encourage people to report their neighbors and friends in the name of everyone "paying their fair share", the fairness of which the state decrees.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    VA police are crazy so I only stay in DC and MD...not worth driving into that place. It's the only state I set my cruise control right at the speed limit when on the interstate...it's not worth the headaches dealing with them.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Clear evidence, that in at least one case, their program is successful.

D

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    They've been doing this in California for a long time.

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Fixed it for you.

CW

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    And, over 5MM Californians have left the State over the past decade. I wonder if there's a connection?

CW

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    But at what cost? I used to live in MD and work in DC (3 years worth). How many times did I ever go into Virginia and spend money? Twice by my count...$15 each time to park at the Dulles Annex Smithsonian National Air and Space museum.

Because of their crazy laws, I had no interest in driving in that place and spending my money. Maryland and DC have enough to offer...

Oh, and for my drives back to FL for holidays, I would make sure to never use a gas station there on either my departing or return trip...I have no interest in supporting their economy.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    When Colorado legalized recreational marijuana, 5 million Californians arrived.

15. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    Marlboro and Newport cigarettes are manufactured in Virginia and North Carolina where prices can be as low as $3.88 a pack. The same pack of cigarettes can sell for as high as $15 in New York City. Virginia police are looking for the drivers trying to double their money
    in one round trip via I-95.

May 5, 2017 - Organized crime ring made millions smuggling cigarettes and writing bad checks in Va., police say
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/forty-three-people-indicted-on-charges-of-organized-crime-scheme/2017/05/05/7362f00e-3198-11e7-8674-437ddb6e813e_story.html?utm_term=.95d835f37170

"In 2011, federal officials estimated that a U-Haul truck stocked with 200 cases of cigarettes could net a smuggler a profit of $670,000"

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The race to the bottom...

Actually, what's the point? CA has medical marijuana, and the whole thing's a sham. Get your medical card for a few bucks, and puff away. But, I agree that CO has attracted out-of-staters. Many, IMO, unwanted.

That said, look at how CA's economic/tax/regulatory/social policies have driven many to head for greener pastures in places like TX.

CW

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I think CostCo's VA business selling carton cigarettes is HUGE!

CW

18. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
  19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

They are aiming at anyone on their roads, right? So if you're a resident, you're stuck. I'm not saying I agree with tossing a guy in jail for reckless driving if he's 15 over, but if that's the way they want to play, then it's important to know that and mind your manners in Virginia.

I live in Florida, we don't believe anything less than about 30 over is a real problem, at least if the pace on I-75 is any indicator.

And I doubt there's a groundswell of driver sentiment that's causing guys to drive around Virginia. Maybe some, like you, don't stop for gas there, but most folks just watch their behavior or take the risk of a huge ticket.

D

20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm amazed at what it takes to get pulled over in Florida.

21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

10 over is just barely gonna keep you from getting killed in the right lane, and on I4, I don't care what speed you're going, someone, usually in a big ol' pickup truck with a lift kit, is going 20+ MPH faster, charging up on your ass in traffic, and then going apoplectic behind you trying to get you out of his way. AND THAT'S IN THE RIGHT LANE!!! :D

D

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    this morning I was on a secondary road with a 45 mph speed limit, I was doing 60-slightly faster than flow of traffic. I looked up and saw a cop behind me...got into the right line and waited for the lights to come on. nope, cop just motored on past me.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    LOL, yep FL FTW when it comes to registering cars and operating them. They don't care. Just pay the registration...doesn't matter if the car is falling apart or giving off the worst emissions ever lol.

24. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    #250 fedcoin, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As we sit here today, what have I been saying for the past 5 years still rings true:

"Buy some Bitcoin and get the hell out of Virginia!"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login