News

What are your favorite tracks?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Ky1e, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Must see the interview we did with Piero Ferrari in Maranello! https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/news/297
  1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #76 Ky1e, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Since starting this thread I've gotten a chance to try out a lot of tracks this year-- so I'd like to revise my earlier list. It's hard to say which is my favorite because different tracks offer different things but here are my thoughts:

VIR: Awesome! If I had to name one favorite, so far VIR would be it. Favorite part is the Esses through South Bend to Oak tree. Upper Esses until after South Bend are currently my favorite high speed corners anywhere.

Road America- Fast but safe. It seemed like you could push the envelope and get the thrill yet there are not that many areas you can easily damage your car. The only significant danger area to damage your car in an off was the Kink. I like that there are corners that test your braking skills and there are lots of turns that offer late braking/inside pass as a pass potential-- turn 1, 2 , 5, 6, 8, Canada corner. Beautiful scenery.

Watkins Glen: Fast with lots of camber, banked turns, elevation changes and grip. Has a different feel than most other tracks in a good way. My only criticism is there are not a lot of great passing areas, or more specifically hard braking turns (slower corner at the end of a straight) where you can get deep into the ABS and can late brake /take the inside line to pass. Turn 1 is about it and sometimes the bus stop. Most of the turns are higher speed corners that you carry speed through which is great fun but doesnt offer as many areas to pass.

Sebring: Another big boy track that separates driver ability. Lots of different types of turns, speed and exciting. Pretty hard on your car though.

Road Atlanta: Challenging, I love turn 12. Turn 1-5 very technical. A little short, and it can bite you if you push too hard. My main criticism is there are little too many potential car damage areas if you go off.

These next 2 are nothing like the above tracks and not part of my favorites list just adding some commentary...

Homestead: pretty blah and not too exciting. There are not many corners that test your ability.

PBIR: By far the worst track I've ever been too-- very boring. There isnt a corner on the track that gets me excited. So tame, so safe, and it seems to equalized all drivers regardless of ability. Turn 1-2 is about the only excitement on the track.

Tracks I need to try in the next year: Lime Rock, Laguna, Mosport (Canadian Motorsports Park), COTA (just to try it even though as an F1 track it is a little too forgiving), Mid Ohio, Barber. I'll be doing Daytona twice this month.

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 Veteran

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    One word....IMS :)

3. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Spring Mountain........
    Surprised at no/so few mentions.

4. obryan214

obryan214 Rookie

Sep 2, 2018
    Tacoma Washington USA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Owe
    Pacific Raceways in Kent Washington formerly know as Seattle International Raceway is so far the only roadcourse I've been on but looking forward to trying the ridge near Shelton. I have way more drag experience at Pacific then road course but prefer Bremerton Raceway for that on the run what you bring nights since I can get a lot more passes there but its a lower quality track.

5. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, California
    Full Name:
    Yes
    Spa

LVP488 likes this.
  6. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    My home track is Watkins Glen but I also really like VIR, and Tremblant.

Mosport, Road Atlanta, and Laguna Seca are all on my bucket list.

Just recently had a chance to drive Club Motorsports (Tamworth) up ion NH. The track is magnificent (2.5 miles, 15 turns with over 250 feet of elevation). It's similar to Tremblant but with a lot more elevation change.

The problem with this track is that they're battling with the town over noise. The 92 dB limit is strictly enforced, there were stock GT3's being punted for sound violation. The track is also new so their infrastructure sucks. We had to unload our cars and keep the trailer at an entirely different location due to lack of paved parking areas. This was frustrating when trying to maintain your car over the course of a three day event.

We could also not get on track on Sunday until 11:00am because the local "church groups" would be annoyed by the sound of our cars. This meant that all of the run groups start extremely late on Sundays. This is especially annoying since many folks (myself included) had to leave early on Sunday because of a very long drive home.

I fear the town of Tamworth will ultimately cause the demise of this track and will prevent people like me from going back. Don't even think about bringing a Cup or a Challenge car there, they wouldn't even let you out of the pits. Kind of a shame.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Nordschleife:)

FF1600 + a few road cars.

8. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    revised:
    1. VIR
    2. MoSport/Canadian Tire Motorsports Park
    3. Road Atlanta
    4. Sebring
    5. Watkins Glen

9. nmcclure

nmcclure Karting
    Silver Subscribed Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    sebring over barber??? I agree with your others!