What transmission oil could be this? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What transmission oil could be this?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricambio, Jan 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Happy to share the details Dave, . . . first though, let me give credit where credit is due. The inspiration for this came from Dave Helms at SRI. On the 328, draining the coolant is no elegant task, you have to pull the lower heater hose off of one of the main coolant tubes and then prepare for coolant to dump everywhere. Dave developed an in line petcock drain coupling that makes the task super clean and simple (see the first photo). Following Dave's lead I ended up modifying the coolant block drain plug on my 328 so the entire coolant drain procedure on the car was contained (see second photo). I did something similar with my M5 but used Fumoto valves in the block drain positions as the plug diameters weren't sufficient to accept an aftermarket petcock (see third photo). When I acquired the 355 a couple of years ago I attempted to fit fumoto valves in the block drain positions but there was not enough clearance to thread the valve due to the proximity to the exhaust manifold. I did some research and found a drain valve that would fit without difficulty. It's a Stahlbus Quick Drain Valve (M14 x 1.5 part# SB-210211-S-NA: https://www.stahlbus-us.com/oil-drain-valve/). Note that both Fumoto and Stahlbus valves were originally designed for oil pan drainage but there are plenty of examples of them being used for coolant drain applications as well. Before placing the Stahlbus valves on the 355 I communicated with Thomas Modlemeier from Stahlbus who stated that it was perfectly acceptable to use the valve in this application. I've had the valves in place on my 355 for approximately 2 years without any difficulties. Full disclosure, there are two downsides of the Stahlbus valve compared to the Fumoto. 1. The Stahlbus utilizes an adapter that fits into the valve to release the fluid so you'll need to keep the adapter it in a safe place and not loose it. I suppose it's not that big of a deal if you misplace the adapter as you can just remove the valve and drain the coolant as you would the standard block plug. 2. The Stahlbus valve is not cheap (around $55 compared to $27 for the Fumoto). I think that about covers it. Please note that I have no financial interest in any of the products listed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    We use a soap for dish washers, low foaming. typically takes 2-3+ times, then we use water 2-3 then distilled 1 time. On the water stages, the hotter the better. Really need a recirculating system to flow through the radiators etc. Obviously the thermostat is removed.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks very much Ettore. I ordered a couple of these and look forward to pain free coolant changes going forward.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  5. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Yep, take a look at the first post in that thread Mitchell. Robert made those up based on my original design for the modified 328 block drain plug referenced in post #26 above. Before marketing those he reached out to me and asked if he could name the thing in my honor which I replied was a nice gesture but not necessary. My only concern with my original modified block drain plug and Robert's reproduction of the same plug is there is no way to lock the petcock in a closed position. While it never happened on my 328, I always worried that petcock drain could slowly open with enough engine vibration. Both the Fumoto and Stahlbus valves have a locking mechanism which prevents the ball valve from opening without deliberate action. I have since replaced my modified 328 block drain plug with the Stahlbus version.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have that wing nut on my GT4 for many years. There was never an issue.

7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Does anyone know the thread size for the Stahlbus valve for the 328 ?

8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Thanks Ettore for the great information. I am about to do my coolant change and these fittings will be installed to make the future much easier. Dave, I was just trying to help your sales, we know you have a 599 on your mind. :)

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    LOL - thanks, Joe :) ;)

10. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Thanks Ettore for the great information. I am about to do my coolant change and these fittings will be installed to make the future much easier. Dave, I was just trying to help your sales, we know you have a 599 on your mind. :)

11. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Skipp, the 328 and 355 block drain plugs share the same diameter/thread pitch (M14 x 1.5). As I'm sure you're aware, you need two for the 355 while the 328 only has one block drain plug.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You only need one if you always drain from that one port. I use the one on bank 2. But yes, there are two plugs.

13. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Indeed, on the 355 which ever block drain is opened first will drain the majority of the coolant from the engine. That stated, I have found that there's still a bit of coolant left behind that will drain when you open the second plug. While probably not enough to get excited about, it's there.

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Absolutely. I still have coolant in the block of the motor I removed 2 years ago. Would need to suck it out some how :)

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    We use Citrol at our shop. Works good on similar things. By schaffers i think. Kinda pricey but you get what you pay for

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thought i would bump this for people getting ready for an engne out. Its a nice touch

steved033 likes this.
  17. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    Sorry I didn't update this. Yes it's was the culprit of the heat exchanger (as usually) repalced with a new one, differetn material and I believe was lighter or heavier than the factory installed? and had to flush the coolant system like 5-6 times, and as well the transmission with Redline (expensive flush). Now all is fine and running smooth!

Skippr1999 likes this.
  18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    What year was your r car and hiw many miles when this happened.
    I just ordered an after market exchanger so I never have this problem so I was just curious.

And thank you for the update. It kinda was obvious but the confirmation is nice.

19. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    What heat exchanger model did oyu order?

Curious....cost?

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just rounding prices but about 750 USD I think or at least i hope He quoted canadian dollars.
    No secret Alex at Daytona. He is guidos friend.
    I saw Guido quote him on another thread.
    Looking forword to getting it.

WATSON likes this.
  21. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
  22. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Hummm. That's interesting.

The tube size on the one that came out is clearly different.

That changes flow rates and back pressure.

Not sure it matters much, but my experience with heat exchangers would suggest the one on the right is more efficient than the one on the left.

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I may have to dissagree with you. I think based on the pics That the oil has more room between the tubes so heat transfer would be better from it. But just my guess and a differant way to look at things

24. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Sooooo.. More oil with less surface area in contact with the cooling tubes. Right? :)

Heat transfer...hot to cold, cold to hot. More surface area exchange the better.

Flow is another consideration and i have issues here as well.

25. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes but the big tubes are so close I am thinking very little oil can get between them so the flow is poor and then the heat transfer would be less. I just dont know why they would not leave at least a lttle more room b etween the tubes