WINDOW ACCELERATORS | FerrariChat

WINDOW ACCELERATORS

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ria, Nov 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    did anyone here order from ebay a set of window accelerators from this guy rodney dickman? i want to know if thay work before i get a set $ 98.00 any info? thanks.

2. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Search the forum archives (STFA.) This has been discussed before. But to answer your question, yes, I did order a set and they work exactly as described. You should clean the old grease (which has the consistency of hardened concrete) from the electric motor and spool while you're in there. Doing both will help with window speed.

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I think cleaning the grease is a must do - if you increase the voltage to the motor without doing so I think you run the risk of possibly burning the thing out.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    One of FChatt's sponsor, RICAMBI sells such a product. If fact I have a box with two sitting in my garage that I have yet to install ... I've just been so busy or lazy to install yet...I will soon though and post how well it works. http://www.ricambiamerica.com/door.htm

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #5 2NA, Nov 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you replace the grease and freshen all the electrical connections you'll get the same result.

Check the connector where the wires pass from the door to the car body. If they look like this (pretty common) you have to fix it first.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How about after doing this plus add the accelerator would that be ok?

7. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i did all the cleaning and grease the next thing is to get accelerators. thanks to all for the info.

8. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Alright then, lets see if I have a handle on this. The window accelerators work by providing a positive (good) ground to the chassis. Is this correct? However, the REAL problem is lack of 12 volts to the motors due to the length, and connections, of the wiring. Is this correct? I'd really like some input before I tackle the windows on my 308 GTSi.

Thanks in advance, Steve Schroeder

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Based on a number of other's posts, I believe that is not necessarily true. The accelerator seems to help with voltage issues that cannot always be fixed by cleaning, greasing, and fixing/cleaning electrical connections alone. The accelerators seem to be a real improvement over the original design, even when the original components and electrical parts are working at their optimum.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #10 Verell, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There are 2 problems:
    1) The old grease in the regulators & window cable rollers - Take care of it first by following this procedure:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/114996.html

2) Low voltage to the motors due the marginal size wiring, & switches with tarnished contacts.

IMHO, the 'accelerators' only half address the problem for 308s & Mondials. The best fix for low voltage is Mike Tarrant's relay fix as it addresses losses in BOTH the power & ground circuit paths. Here's Mike's write-up:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/2175.html

Unfortunately, the original wiring diagram & pix for that thread were lost with the hard drive crash. Sorry the following scan of the printout isn't more legible, Can't seem to find the original printout:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    "2) Low voltage to the motors due the marginal size wiring, & switches with tarnished contacts.

IMHO, the 'accelerators' only half address the problem for 308s & Mondials. The best fix for low voltage is Mike Tarrant's relay fix as it addresses losses in BOTH the power & ground circuit paths. Here's Mike's write-up:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/2175.html

Unfortunately, the original wiring diagram & pix for that thread were lost with the hard drive crash."

quoting from post above ^^^^^^

does this (4) changeover relay fix recommended for 328/Mondial cars, have any relation to 355 models? I like this idea, but wonder if the application and instructions are pertinent?

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I wasn't aware F355s had an issue with slow windows. Myself and five friends that had them never did. Might just be a process of cleaning up the connectors and grounds. But then I never really had issues with my 328 either. My 308 improved considerably by the simplest of fixes. I lubricated the window felts at the front and back with some silicone spray. Did it once every 6 months. There is a lot of friction at those points, particularly with decades old and hard rubber felts. I never got around to replacing them due to the silicone trick working so well.