1990 348 ts - first time buyer. | FerrariChat

1990 348 ts - first time buyer.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Zulf, Feb 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    1990 348ts - FIRST TIME FERRARI BUYER

Greetings fellow Ferrari owners. I’m in the market to buy a 348ts, a car that makes me nostalgic all over! I’m currently looking at a particular car that has just under 13000 miles, it is a 1990 ts. It’s just had a recent engine out service and drives solid. Any thoughts on this car before I pull the trigger, any pre-purchase advice would be appreciated. I will be heading to the dealership this weekend for a second drive and will also be getting a PPI done while I’m there.

NeuroBeaker and vdettore like this.
  2. DarkHorseTerence

Oct 25, 2012
    you're already doing the best thing - a good ppi!
    afterwhich - enjoy and get a decat exhaust system on it! - Nuvolari or Tubi.... !

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Like they say... "pictures or it didn't happen". ;)

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Sounds like you're on the right track!

Remember, they're sneaking up on 30 years old now, and like any 30 year old car, there will be things to address, but it's all part of the journey!

sjd

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    what dealer? I got a 1990 woth 11k miles but the engine oil pump bearing was not updated (typically you have to pull front of engine to see) so I had chain tensioners updated to 360 and while i there updated front timing cover bearing which is prone to fail and had cam pullies tack welded.

on early cars some critical things need to get done so I pulled motor and went throught it all bought the parts myself plus a bunch not normally part of service.

these are something to consider or maybe plan on next service interval but they can cause damage if neglected.

ppi is fine but do compression AND leak down also. yes do both people argue but while they are there may as well, it measures different things.

beyond taking care of mechanical updated that are required, (bearings 2 of them, chain pads and tensioners, hill cam tensioners, tack pullies) enjoy it. make it your own do what ever. I hate the potato sack fitting carpet so im now updating that plus maki g some custom cnc bits.

exhaust... Kreissieg, skip the crowd think nough on that.
    some wheels maybe i am having cuztom wheels made but I am working through a list.

good thing about the forum is there is tons of info, bad news is there is tons of info. I keep finding things I need to check or do preventative work. just rebuild my whole front end and steering rack. no mattsr how nice a car is its 25+ yrs old and things crack and wear out and stick and fail.

most of it u can diy and is not ecpensice the parts xfref is an eye ope er i can pretty much find most parts as cross ref.

like $700 os aensore are $80 volvo parts. just found unobtanium fuel relays from a boncat dealer lol.

its all good fun wirh nj winter it gives me excuse to work on it.

good luck!

steved033, Wade and AClark like this.
  6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    hope to see a write up on the fuel relays...

sjd

ernie likes this.
  7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are you able to post a copy of the invoice for the recent major? I'm curious how deep they went and what all was replaced.

Zulf likes this.
  8. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali

Thankyou. I’m excited about the prospect of buying the 348...but this information scares me, im not very mechanicaly versed so It’ll have to be done at a garage/dealer. I admire all the folks on here who work on there own cars, wish I had the knowledge.

Will I have to get all the above updates done straight away even when the Timing belt/ major service was done a couple months back or can I drive it and be prepared for it at the next 4/5 year service mark. In order to keep insurance low im only allowed to drive the car 2000 miles per year.

The rear glass has a crack in it and the side mirrors are not working. Any thoughts? Once again thanks.

9. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    Absolutely, I could do that as soon as I get home. I also have a massive file of pictures of what and when it was done.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    There's been talk about improper jacking for the ts, which can cause cracking. But I don't have the source info, haven't experienced a crack, yet.

Problems with the side mirrors usually points to the wire cable connector in the driver's door hinge area. Check for broken wires.

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  12. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali

Just reposting from before...Will I have to get all the above updates (bearing and stuff) done straight away even when the Timing belt/ major service was done a couple months back or can I drive it and be prepared for it at the next 4/5 year service mark. In order to keep insurance low im only allowed to drive the car 2000 miles per year.

13. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    When you mean a good ppi, is that the more extensive version. The PPi’s vary from $400 to $1200. I’m getting it done from the mechanic who did the engine out service, he does nothing but Ferrari’s, Scuderia Motors NJ. Is that a good idea or shall I get an unbiased dealer to look at it?

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If the "major" was completed (timing belt, etc.) then I'd wait until the next one for the additional items suggested by Eric. But it's best to know beforehand what's needed as well. For example, my records show that the oil pump chain tensioner was replaced in the past. Although it's a "wear item" I haven't driven my car enough to worry about it.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/question-about-additional-service-at-major-oil-pump-drive-chain-and-tensioner.388769/

Btw, my insurance is with Grundy. Agreed value and no limits (other than not being a "daily driver").

Here's another very helpful source of info on the 348.

http://www.my348.com/

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  16. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    Thanks mate. This is extremely valuable feedback. I’ll keep you folks posted. In the meantime here is the car while I was test driving it a couple weeks back. Let me know your thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    Thank you, some fantastic information. Looking forward to the ppi.

18. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    kandi likes this.
  19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #19 Ferrarium, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Good looking car my friend, looks like an early 90 as well. Records are key they may read the oil pump bearing was done as there was a TSB for it so fingers crossed!

For Reference:
    Along with usual Hill tensioner bearings and oem belts etc (Ricambi sells a full kit) for Major service I did these
    Bearing#11 is failure prone, even if you replace it with another oem one. Hill makes a replacement now. Mine was actually weeping a bit of oil past the seal.
    Bearing #3 is the one Wade posted that I mentioned was roller that need to be updated there was a TSB for it but MANY were never done. Mine was not. Mine actually fell apart when they took it out.
    #64-#66 or so is an update to 360 bits, definitely better they don't rattle and all that.
    #27 gets hard and brittle so when the pan is off may as well replace it.
    #5 is the chain tensioner in the post wade reerenced. Mine was almost wear free. But 64-67 was deeply gouged. No doubt caused by NOT driving it and way too many dry starts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cam pulley fences are actually presses on so once they are removed and reinstalled they can get loose and fly apart, bad juju. Tack weld them. This i snot mine just a pic from out here but I did that too.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/dsc_0048_resize-jpg.706327/

I tried Grundy but when I said I wanted to drive 7500 a year they said no way we wont insure you. Bummer cause it was like $500 a year. So I used USAA and pay about as much as any other car (alot) but I can daily drive it. Too bad we have winter rain snow and salt so c'mon spring, I do miss Boca Raton for driving weather.

Ohh put the car on a lift and grab the passenger front wheel and see if you can wiggle it. steering rack shot. Very common, inner bushing disintegrates over time. Fairly cheap to rectify but it RUINS the driving experience. Dang variable toe while driving, highway got suspenseful at speeds. :)
    Doing it your self is actually quite easy, little skill needed, I did a detailed post on it. Rack rebuild cost $220-$600 depending on where you go and of its a rebuild or a purchase with a core exchange etc.

Zulf likes this.
  20. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali

Thanks bud, much appreciated. I don’t think there were many receipts and history so there isn’t anyway of knowing if the oil pump bearing was replaced. I’m completely naive to the car... by the way, what does TSB mean.

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Service bulletin from Ferrari. Like a recall your used to.
    2 Strategies

1) Pull motor and go through it (I was due for service when I bought mine so I did it all so I knew where I stood, check valve clearance the whole thing)
    2) Wait till next service and listen for new noises the bearing will make noise before it goes, there is time to catch it. Myself I would be comfortable with that if I had verifiable service completed recently with hill tensioners etc.. Get it all next time. Some cars go 40-50K with no issues from those bearings.

22. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    Thanks...Love the advice regarding the steering rack, anymore recommended actions before I head to the dealer on Saturday would be greatly appreciated. I’ll be there at the same time when ppi is being done.

I found AAA insurance for the car, it’s $475 every 6 months for me. That’s with 2000 miles limit but there again I’m in Michigan so due to the cold weather I’ll be only driving 6 months of the year.

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep I'm in NJ but when spring rolls around I plan on driving to work 35 miles each way plus coastal weekend drives I'm gonna drive the snot out of it. 12K a year easy. 100K miles is my goal don't care about resale, I am not checking out of this planet looking back saying "I wish I drove that car more" :) I have a huge parts bin of preventative things, check valves, fpr, hoses relays a ton of things that break that are cheap that can make an old car unreliable.

24. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    Love it, it’s inspiring to see how many folks enjoy driving there cars instead of locking them away only to be seen at shows once a year. If all goes well and I decide to purchase this bad boy then I will be driving it daily! You’re absolutely right, enjoy it while you have it.

25. Zulf

Zulf Rookie

Jan 16, 2019
    Irvine California
    Full Name:
    Zulf Ali
    Here is a copy of the major service that was done I believe last year in September. Let me know your thoughts. I have a ton of pics documented during the engine out service. The dealer spent over $10000 in parts and sevice. Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login